What schools can do to support people experiencing homelessness in South Australia
- Hold a casual day and suggest a gold coin donation with proceeds going to Hutt St Centre.
- Host a fundraising event with proceeds going to Hutt St Centre.
- You can set-up a fundraising page easily on Every Day Hero
- Host a High Tea for Hi(dden) Society at school. Invite school friends, neighbours and family and increase community awareness of homelessness and the work of Hutt St Centre.
- Make an online donation and think creatively about where the money might come from (instead of the latest magazines, or a trip to the movies or a months Netflix hire, or packing simple lunches from home instead of café or canteen lunches).
Walk a Mile in My Boots - At My School
Due to current restrictions around COVID-19, Walk a Mile in My Boots - At My School program will not be run in 2020. This decision has not been made lightly and it is only due to our concern for the wellbeing of students and teachers, and the continued uncertainty we all face, that we are cancelling a program so many of you have come to know and love as much as we do.
We still need your support to help provide essential wellbeing services to people experiencing homelessness.
- We encourage you to recognise National Homelessness Week, 3-8 August or World Homeless Day on 10 October 2020.
- This could still involve smaller groups of students walking around the school during homelessness week or later in the year.
- We're keen to continue supporting any programs relating to the education of students about homelessness.
- Later this year we'll email out a teaching resource about homelessness, as well as a postcard for students to write to people experiencing homelessness and send back to Hutt St Centre, so we can pass on to our clients to cheer them up and give them strength and hope.
- We have a new animated video on homelessness available to show students
As restrictions lift, and you consider wellbeing or social justice projects for your students, please consider supporting Hutt St Centre through safe activities like casual donation days, school bake sales or sleep outs.
We'll be back with Walk a Mile in My Boots - At My School in 2021, and sincerely hope your school will join us.