We rely on the generous support of the South Australian community to help people rebuild their lives – and there are few supporters more passionate than our volunteers.
Our volunteers come from different walks of life, but together share the same heart for making a difference.
From helping regularly in our kitchen, laundry and locker facilities to supporting our employment and education programs, volunteers are integral to the amazing outcomes we see every day.
“Volunteering at Hutt St Centre is about treating people with dignity and respect – sharing a smile with everyone, and making sure they feel welcome.
“People experiencing homelessness often feel invisible, but they’re not invisible here. We see them, and we’re here to help them.”
– Annette, Kitchen Volunteer
What to know about volunteering at Hutt St Centre
We are fortunate to have a team of long-standing regular volunteers who help make a difference for people at risk of or experiencing homelessness.
The safety and wellbeing of our clients is our top priority. Ensuring volunteers are well suited to the roles outlined above is essential to providing our clients with the best possible experience.
With that in mind we are looking for volunteers that can demonstrate:
- Honesty and integrity.
- Reliability and ability to demonstrate initiative.
- Good communication and listening skills.
- Willingness to learn, participate and work with other staff and volunteers in a team and follow instructions.
- Understanding of professional boundaries, working with vulnerable people.
- Sensitivity, empathy and a non-judgmental attitude towards people facing homelessness and disadvantage.
- Commitment to the principles of client and child safety and wellbeing.
The requirements for volunteer roles at Hutt St Centre include:
- A satisfactory National Police Check.
- A satisfactory DHS Working with Children Check.
- Completion of Hutt St Centre volunteer online induction.
- Signed code of conduct.
Current volunteer opportunities
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Hutt St Centre. While there are no ongoing volunteer opportunities available at present, this may change at various times throughout the year so please check back soon.
You can also express you interest in future opportunities by emailing our People & Culture team: firstname.lastname@example.org
How else can I get involved?
You might like to consider the following options to show your support:
- Become an Angel for a Day – help support our meal service by donating $350 and you'll be invited to experience how your support makes a difference by taking part in an Angel shift.
- Become a Hutt St Hero by hosting your own fundraising event.
- Step up to help end homelessness by taking part in our Walk a Mile in My Boots Challenge.
- Make a donation to help ensure our doors are open for people when they need us most.
We would like to thank all our Hutt St Centre volunteers, past and present, for always putting in 100%. We are so lucky to have such an incredible group of volunteers who are willing to help and support people experiencing homelessness. You are AMAZING!